Many of my clients ask me regarding the big square box inside the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it can either benefit home owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Utilize it only if the temperature and humidity outside is far more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. Should your air conditioning system is operating throughout the day, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity remains to be high), don’t turn the tumblr.com. The vent will suck each of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The best time periods to work with it would be, naturally, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it may not be smart to bring every one of the pollution in to the house. The window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are incredibly powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (a minimum of with the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it would draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, through the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney so you don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it may possibly blow away from the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, it is possible to activate the entire house fan and in most cases throughout the next few seconds you should feel plenty of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the windows and doors – both must be balanced to operate properly so that you can really benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn from the whole house fan has to be discharged from the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will cause the air which was just pulled from the house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to support the https://tumblr.com/ operation; you may want much more to transport everything that extra number of air for the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the square footage in the attic vents needed to discharge that air is simple. You just need the dimensions of all of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is just a sample, calculate all of the rooms within your house you feel must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the area of the required attic vents (all of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re relocating to has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there can be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within just a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes for an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from your sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. Which will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. An additional crucial thing: louvers in the http://tumblr.com/ will not be air tight and possess no insulation applied to their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would personally strongly suggest installing a complete house fan cover in attic area to avoid air drafts throughout the cold season – don’t forget to remove it prior to deciding to take advantage of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never utilize them, however they might benefit your wallet in the event you apply the suggestions above. You can find currently other house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more potent, and give air circulation for longer periods of time.